We’re excited to announce the launch of the Highfive App! In this video, Highfive software engineer Chris Chen explains how the app improves the Highfive user experience and how Highfive users can get started with it today.
At Highfive, we want to provide everyone with the best possible user experience. That means ensuring you can use Highfive on whatever browser, device or platform you choose. Until now, we’ve only supported Highfive in the Chrome web browser and on iOS devices, but that changes today with the launch of the Highfive App for Mac and PC!
So what’s different? Starting today, when you open Highfive in your browser, you’ll be directed to a web page with instructions on how to install the app. It’s a one-time, quick and easy installation. (The Highfive Chrome plug-in will no longer be available).
We think there’s a lot to love about the new Highfive App. Here are a few highlights:
- Once you install the app, Highfive call links will work with every major browser, including Chrome, Firefox, Safari & Internet Explorer.
- You don’t need to worry about whether your guests have the right browser to join Highfive calls.
- Highfive is now easier to find and no longer hidden among your browser tabs.
- You can keep the Highfive App in your OS X dock or pin it in the Windows task bar.
- Going forward you can join calls or screen share by launching the Highfive App directly, or by clicking on a Highfive call link, which will launch the app from any browser.
If you’re wondering whether we plan to re-introduce a browser-based version of Highfive, the answer is yes! We’re extremely excited about the future of video with the emergence of WebRTC, a new open-source standard being built into web browsers that won’t require any plug-ins or downloads. However, until this technology is ready for prime time, we think the Highfive App offers the best user experience.
We’ve prepared resources to help your teams through this transition, and we appreciate your patience. We hope you love the Highfive App, and we want to hear your feedback so please email us at email@example.com. Thank you so much for your support of Highfive!